OS X and Output plugin configuration
Chris Gilmartin
2012-06-23 17:54:03 UTC
Hello,

I just installed cmus on my machine and I tried to add/play some music
files with the player, but I receive the following message upon starting
cmus:

Error: selecting output plugin '': no such plugin

and the following message when I attempt to play audio files:

Error: opening audio device: couldn't initialize required output plugin

When I try to use the command to set the audio plugin, the player doesn't
recognize the plugins that I try to use. How do I set up a plugin to use
with cmus?

Thank you so much,
Chris
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-06-24 07:24:49 UTC
    I just installed cmus on my machine and I tried to add/play some music
files with the player, but I receive the following message upon starting
Error: selecting output plugin '': no such plugin
On OS X, you should use the «ao» plugin. Please make sure that you've
built it. After installing cmus with «sudo make install», use «:set
output_plugin=ao» command to select it (only once, no need to do this
every time you start cmus).

       Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-06-25 08:28:32 UTC
[please CC cmus-devel so that others will be able to help/find the
information in the future]
Dear Gregory,
    Thank you for the help with the output plugin!  I can now play some
files (wav format only), but I cannot add music to my library.  When I try
Error: Couldn't get file information for /directory/file
When I try to add music to my library, I will type the command:  " :add
/directory/ " but nothing happens.  Do you know how I could solve this
problem?
For each type of file you want to play, you need to build (and
instsall) an apropriate input plugin for cmus. E.g., for mp3, you need
the «mad» plugin (which requires libmad with head files installed),
and so on.

If you are using OS X, I think the easiest way to install cmus is to
use Homebrew — «brew install cmus» is everything you'll need to do.

       Gregory