Suggestion for the browser view
Markus Mously
2011-10-11 07:56:31 UTC

When browsing into a folder or playlist and then going back, the
selected item will be the uppermost. Most file browsers will reselect
the previously selected item (i.e. the folder you opened) which I find
is more intuitive. This also simplifies some tasks like consecutively
opening playlists and facilitates orientation in large directory trees
by not jumping to the first item again and again.

Example:

Imagine two folders named "My Music" and "Other Music". Currently,
opening "Other Music" and going back will result in "My Music" being
selected. In most file browsers "Other Music" will be selected instead.

Markus
Jason Woofenden
2011-10-13 02:01:04 UTC
Markus,

The desired behavior you describe is what I get in the file view
when I press backspace.

Are you pressing enter on the ".." or something?

- Jason
Markus Mously
2011-10-13 06:32:50 UTC
Post by Jason Woofenden
The desired behavior you describe is what I get in the file view
when I press backspace.
Are you pressing enter on the ".." or something?
Jason, I just noticed that you are right: The behavior for folders is
indeed correct.

But returning from playlists (at least m3u) with backspace (browser-up)
will reset the selection to the first item.

It would be great if the behavior was identical for folders and
playlists. While a playlist is obviously a file, in the browser view its
function resembles that of a folder.

Regards,
Markus
Jason Woofenden
2011-10-15 15:53:17 UTC
Post by Markus Mously
Post by Jason Woofenden
The desired behavior you describe is what I get in the file view
when I press backspace.
Are you pressing enter on the ".." or something?
Jason, I just noticed that you are right: The behavior for folders is
indeed correct.
But returning from playlists (at least m3u) with backspace (browser-up)
will reset the selection to the first item.
Oh, wow, I didn't realize you could browse into play lists. cmus
has hidden wonders.

Now I see the issue you're describing. I'm not up for fixing this
right now. Anyone?

And I'll add a slightly related wishlist item: I wish the "resume"
feature would remember what folder/playlist I have open in the
browser view (especially if the browser view is visible when I
quit.)

Thanks, - Jason
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-10-22 13:35:18 UTC
Post by Jason Woofenden
And I'll add a slightly related wishlist item: I wish the "resume"
feature would remember what folder/playlist I have open in the
browser view (especially if the browser view is visible when I
quit.)
Oh, that was easy — implemented in master now!

Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-10-22 13:34:27 UTC
Post by Markus Mously
Post by Jason Woofenden
The desired behavior you describe is what I get in the file view
when I press backspace.
Are you pressing enter on the ".." or something?
Jason, I just noticed that you are right: The behavior for folders is
indeed correct.
But returning from playlists (at least m3u) with backspace (browser-up)
will reset the selection to the first item.
It would be great if the behavior was identical for folders and
playlists. While a playlist is obviously a file, in the browser view its
function resembles that of a folder.
Sorry for such a delay, I was not able to check my email for a week or so.

The bug is now fixed in both -maint and -master branches of git repo — it would
be great if you could verify that it works for you.

Thanks for the reporting!

Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-11-13 14:57:24 UTC
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Markus Mously
<***@googlemail.com> wrote:> On Sat, 2011-10-22T17:34+0400,
Gregory Petrosyan wrote:>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 08:32:50AM +0200,
Markus Mously wrote:>> > On 10/13/2011 04:01 AM, Jason Woofenden
wrote:>> > > The desired behavior you describe is what I get in the
file view>> > > when I press backspace.>> > >>> > > Are you pressing
enter on the ".." or something?>> > >>> > Jason, I just noticed that
you are right: The behavior for folders is>> > indeed correct.>> >>> >
But returning from playlists (at least m3u) with backspace
(browser-up)>> > will reset the selection to the first item.>> >>> >
It would be great if the behavior was identical for folders and>> >
playlists. While a playlist is obviously a file, in the browser view
its>> > function resembles that of a folder.>>>> Sorry for such a
delay, I was not able to check my email for a week or so.>>>> The bug
is now fixed in both -maint and -master branches of git repo — it
would>> be great if you could verify that it works for you.>>>> Thanks
for the reporting!>> I just received 2.4.2 through my distribution
update and the issue is still present with m3u files.

2.4.2 was released long ago; this fix is in the -maint branch of the
git repo for now, and will be a part of the 2.4.3 release.
                Gregory