cmus-lyrics - a simple lyrics viewer for cmus
OK
2012-03-12 11:23:06 UTC
Hello,

I wrote a simple lyrics viewer for cmus.

Features:
- Ncurses UI
- Downloads lyrics from LyricsWiki
- Cache for downloaded lyrics
- Automatically update when song in cmus changes

More informations are on GitHub project page:
https://github.com/ok100/cmus-lyrics

Best regards

-- OK100
--
b.d
(| |)
^ ^
Paul Kramer
2012-03-12 12:13:50 UTC
Post by OK
Hello,
I wrote a simple lyrics viewer for cmus.
       - Ncurses UI
       - Downloads lyrics from LyricsWiki
       - Cache for downloaded lyrics
       - Automatically update when song in cmus changes
https://github.com/ok100/cmus-lyrics
Best regards
-- OK100
I'll give your viewer a try. I wrote something similar a while ago. It
didn't have any real interface and was just a hacked-together perl
script. If anyone wants, I could post it.
Storm Dragon
2012-03-17 23:40:46 UTC
It is saying n/a - n/a for every song I play. Could you possibly add in
a search string line at the top?
Currently searching for Six Feet Under - Murdered in the Basement
For example? It would offer a bit more info than the current n/a,
nothing found message.
Also, if it could search several sites that would be great too.
Thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
-- OK100
Mirko Augsburger
2012-03-21 10:30:36 UTC

thanks a lot for writing and sharing. It is working on my machine and
makes me annoying my neighbours with my crappy singing :D

It would be nice to somehow integrate this as view in cmus.

Mirko
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2
Paul Kramer
http://p.sf.net/sfu/sfd2d-msazure
gt
2012-03-21 15:45:04 UTC
Post by Paul Kramer
I wouldn't include this in standard cmus to prevent it from bloating.
However, a plugin-system for cmus would be quite nice.
There were talks of a seperate (scriptable) view for different purposes
such as this, a few months back. But, i don't remember what the
conclusion was about it.
Jason Woofenden
2012-03-22 18:43:38 UTC
Post by gt
Post by Paul Kramer
I wouldn't include this in standard cmus to prevent it from bloating.
However, a plugin-system for cmus would be quite nice.
There were talks of a seperate (scriptable) view for different purposes
such as this, a few months back. But, i don't remember what the
conclusion was about it.
I'm not sure we had a conclusion exactly, but there was strong
opposition to the idea. There are myriad other ways of displaying
text to the user, hopefully you'll find at least one that work well
for you.

If you do hack cmus to have a text window, please post it here, but
just know that it has a low chance of being included in cmus
releases.

- Jason
Vladimir Todorov
2012-03-23 08:30:14 UTC

I wrote something similar a few months ago. Basically I use a script that
downloads the lyrics from wiki lyrics (it is not written by me).
I just wrote the script that checks for the lyrics in the local cache and
if they are not found I invoke the script mentioned above.
If lyrics are found at the end I link them to my home directory (symbolic
link to the lyrics in the cache). And I use another script which prints the
lyrics from the link if it exists.
That way when I want to see the lyrics I just type `lyrcls` in a console
window. The script that downloads/links the lyrics is invoked by cmus
(status_display_program). And if I want I can search for other lyrics.
Something like:
# load_lyrics "Alice In Chains" "Nutshell"
# lyrcls

Basically my script acts like a proxy between cmus and the script that
downloads the lyrics.
First I try to find the Artist name and Title from the ID3 tag information
provided by cmus - If no ID3 tag is found I try to extract this information
from the file name (format: %artist - %title.ext).

Currently there is a small bug that appears some times (sporadically) -
When no lyrics are found a file for these lyrics is created in the cache
dir. I didn't have time to fix this but some day I will. And my script is
written in bash but I want to rewrite it in python - when I have time ; )
I can share it if you want.
It will take you ~ 10 minutes to set it up.

This is more convenient for me because cmus is running in a screen session
and it is not always visible. I have key-bindings for
next/previous/pause/vol up/vol down/search/forward/rewind and I am pretty
happy. Best music player ever.

Regards,
Vladimir
Johannes Weißl
2012-06-14 20:42:46 UTC
Post by Jason Woofenden
Post by gt
Post by Paul Kramer
I wouldn't include this in standard cmus to prevent it from bloating.
However, a plugin-system for cmus would be quite nice.
There were talks of a seperate (scriptable) view for different purposes
such as this, a few months back. But, i don't remember what the
conclusion was about it.
I'm not sure we had a conclusion exactly, but there was strong
opposition to the idea. There are myriad other ways of displaying
text to the user, hopefully you'll find at least one that work well
for you.
The problem is also that we won't ever be able to include a lyrics
viewer (at least for LyricWiki) in cmus, because after the deal with
Gracenote it is not allowed to automatically scrape the lyrics...

Because of this I thought about just storing lyrics for my tracks in the
tags, and add support in cmus for the lyrics tag (for people not storing
lyrics there would be no additional bloat/memory consumption). This way,
a status_display_program could would get them (and be able to display
them), and if we ever implement a "track details" window (either as
popup or separate view) it would be easy to show lyrics along with e.g.
encoding information.

Just some random thoughts, no plans for implementing right now :-).

Johannes
Vladimir Todorov
2012-06-18 08:15:01 UTC

I like the idea to store the lyrics inside the track. This will solve
another problem related to having multiple versions of a song - one live
and one studio version for example - the lyrics will differ and if the
names of the song are the same the script that 'we' use to fetch the lyrics
won't know which lyric to load. I am happy that you are thinking on it :)

Regards,
Vladimir
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Jason Woofenden
[...]