[RFC] show all songs from all albums when artist is selected in the tree view
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-08-30 09:05:01 UTC
Julian Orth has made a merge request on Gitorious
(https://gitorious.org/cmus/cmus/merge_requests/16), code from which
I've made available in the «show-all-songs» branch of the official
repository.

Please do check it out! Basically, it shows all the songs of the
artist in the right pane, when artist (not album) is selected in the
left pane. It clearly lacks album titles, but despite that, is already
very convenient and useful.

What do you think about introducing similar feature in the next release?

Gregory
gt
2012-08-30 09:45:13 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Julian Orth has made a merge request on Gitorious
(https://gitorious.org/cmus/cmus/merge_requests/16), code from which
I've made available in the «show-all-songs» branch of the official
repository.
Please do check it out! Basically, it shows all the songs of the
artist in the right pane, when artist (not album) is selected in the
left pane. It clearly lacks album titles, but despite that, is already
very convenient and useful.
What do you think about introducing similar feature in the next release?
So it's a bit like library view i suppose.

A few considerations:

1. How the songs will be sorted.
2. It should preferably show only the song titles and maybe the length,
but nothing else such as genre, year, etc.
Johannes Weißl
2012-09-02 12:11:17 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Julian Orth has made a merge request on Gitorious
(https://gitorious.org/cmus/cmus/merge_requests/16), code from which
I've made available in the «show-all-songs» branch of the official
repository.
Please do check it out! Basically, it shows all the songs of the
artist in the right pane, when artist (not album) is selected in the
left pane. It clearly lacks album titles, but despite that, is already
very convenient and useful.
What do you think about introducing similar feature in the next release?
I like the feature, and would be in favor of including it in the next
release. However, the patch seems to be not bug-free, and there are some
issues with the implementation (which can maybe be fixed). E.g.,
the jumping from the end of one album to the next album doesn't work
when I'm viewing all songs of an artist in view 1.

As for the implementation, there are some indenting/whitespace issues,
and unsurprisingly I don't like the mentioned "dirty changes to
rbtree.h" ;-). But otherwise a big thumbs up for working on the (many)
outstanding wishlist features to Julian!

Johannes
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-09-02 20:26:22 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
What do you think about introducing similar feature in the next release?
I like the feature, and would be in favor of including it in the next
release.
Great!
Post by Johannes Weißl
As for the implementation, there are some indenting/whitespace issues,
and unsurprisingly I don't like the mentioned "dirty changes to
rbtree.h" ;-).
Yes, the implementation requires major rework (in order to avoid
rbtree hacks, to add album titles etc.). I was just interested in user
feedback — because as I see it, it may very well subvert (for good)
the tree view for the majorty of users: being able to use muh more
information without any additional keypresses is very empowering.

Gregory