autonomous cmus
Yann Shukor
2013-08-17 06:53:20 UTC
Hi

Is there a way to load and get cmus (on debian squeeze linux) to
automatically begin playing
the contents of a playlist, or an internet link ?

I tried combining the loading of cmus with a cmus-remote command but
that didn't work
I also tried loading cmus in the backgroung first (&), but again, to no
avail

I would like to switch my system on, and have it load cmus from rc.local
and
then have it play an internet radio stream (unattended)

is the possible ?
thanks
yann
Marco
2013-08-17 11:46:48 UTC
Post by Yann Shukor
I would like to switch my system on, and have it load cmus from rc.local
and
then have it play an internet radio stream (unattended)
Are you sure cmus is the right tool for this? It was designed for
interactive use. What about using cvlc (vlc without gui)?

Marco
Johannes Lange
2013-08-17 15:06:41 UTC

what exactly did you try?

I think there will be a way. First you should try to find an interactive
workaround and then put it to a script.
If you have cmus running, you might use cmus-remote to clear your
library, add the Stream and start playing.

Cheers,
Johannes

Gregory Petrosyan
2013-08-17 15:25:03 UTC
Post by Yann Shukor
Is there a way to load and get cmus (on debian squeeze linux) to
automatically begin playing
the contents of a playlist, or an internet link ?
You can try `:set resume=true`, then cmus will resume playing last
track automatically at startup.
Post by Yann Shukor
I would like to switch my system on, and have it load cmus from rc.local
and
then have it play an internet radio stream (unattended)
I guess you should try launching cmus inside a screen session, or
something similar.

http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=detachable_cmus

Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2013-08-19 05:32:17 UTC
Thanks for all your responses
Unfortunately the 'set resume= true isn't regcognized as a valid parameter
Any other suggestions ?
You have to put `set resume=true` in your ~/.cmus/rc file.
cmus &
cmus-remote -p
Is this the correct syntax ?
Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2013-08-19 12:19:02 UTC
No, at first it was inserted into the autosave file,
but cmus loaded with an error;
When placed it in the (initially non existent) rc file,
again, cmus loads with an error "non existent option"
Probably your cmus is of a really old version — resume support was
added in 2.4.0 AFAIR.

Gregory
Yann Shukor
2013-08-22 08:20:22 UTC
Hi

Well my client's satisfactionwas shortlived. CMUS stops
playing after a certain number of hours.

I therefore installed a completely new system (same hardware
model though) new memory (2GB) new HD driveand even new OS:
I used Centos 6.4 instead of Debian Squeeze. The CMUS
version this time around was 2.4.1

Guess what? The situation is exactly the same, CMUs stops
playing after a random number of hours; it could be as little as
two, and rarely beyond ten.

I stopped using MOC because I had a similar bug, I noticed
that mpg123 suffers from the same disruptions and unfortunately
CMUS is no better.

I have to admit that I'm starting to believe that is it my system
which is at fault : Foxconn Nettop nt i1500 (both systems used
for test, aswell as components, were brand new)

Oh, by the way, the resume option apparently only works when
restarting cmus - not whene restarting the system itself.

Any ideas ?
thanks
yann

www.azurtem.net
Gregory
gt
2013-08-22 09:47:16 UTC
Post by Yann Shukor
I stopped using MOC because I had a similar bug, I noticed
that mpg123 suffers from the same disruptions and unfortunately
CMUS is no better.
I have to admit that I'm starting to believe that is it my system
which is at fault : Foxconn Nettop nt i1500 (both systems used
for test, aswell as components, were brand new)
Indeed. If you get the same behaviour with multiple music players and
different software configurations, your system seems to be suspect.
Post by Yann Shukor
Oh, by the way, the resume option apparently only works when
restarting cmus - not whene restarting the system itself.
Yes, but if you have enabled the resume option, and you restart the
system, and then start cmus (whichever way), cmus will start playing the
song, which it was playing before shutdown.
Post by Yann Shukor
Any ideas ?
Maybe start with the usual hardware debugging. Check the SMART attribute
of the Hard Drives, run a memtest, etc.