Unable to add MP3s
Gareth Rennick
2013-03-27 12:24:51 UTC
Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can help me here.

I have two problems. The first occurs when I run cmus and I get this
message:

cmus: Error: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/lib/cmus/op': No such file
or directory

I press enter and cmus starts up.

My second problem is why I try to add music. I navigate to my folder,
which is called Unsorted MP3s, and I press the A key. The folder below
Unsorted MP3s is highlighted. When I press 1 I don't see any MP3s listed.

If I navigate into the actual Unsorted MP3s folder and press A I get the
message:

For convenience, you can not add ".." directory from the browser view

Would anyone be able to help me? I'm not sure the message I get when I
start up cmus is related to my problem of not being able to add songs.

I compiled and installed the program myself, incase that's important. I am
completely new to this so apologies if these are basic questions.

Thanks.
Gareth
gt
2013-03-28 02:59:25 UTC
Post by Gareth Rennick
[...]
The first problem means that there is no output plugin directory,
without which you shouldn't be able to play anything at all.

So are you able to play anything directly from the browser view?
Brandon McCaig
2013-03-28 14:28:20 UTC
Post by Gareth Rennick
Hi folks,
Hello,
Post by Gareth Rennick
I have two problems. The first occurs when I run cmus and I
No such file or directory
I press enter and cmus starts up.
This sounds to me like you were missing dependencies when you
built cmus and it ended up being built without support for any
output plugins. I would imagine the input plugins situation isn't
much more bright. `cmus --plugins' should list both for you,
which will give you an idea of the capabilities of your build.
Post by Gareth Rennick
My second problem is why I try to add music. I navigate to my
folder, which is called Unsorted MP3s, and I press the A key.
The folder below Unsorted MP3s is highlighted. When I press 1 I
don't see any MP3s listed.
If I navigate into the actual Unsorted MP3s folder and press A
For convenience, you can not add ".." directory from the
browser view
cmus only shows you the files that it can read (at least, by
default..), so when you navigate into that directory cmus doesn't
find any files that it can open (and presumably no folders
either), so the only option available is the parent directory
(..), and cmus cautiously refuses to add it since it was probably
a mistake.
Post by Gareth Rennick
Would anyone be able to help me? I'm not sure the message I
get when I start up cmus is related to my problem of not being
able to add songs.
I compiled and installed the program myself, incase that's
important. I am completely new to this so apologies if these
are basic questions.
There are others better equipped to help, but I would guess that
you're going to need to install some more dependencies and
rebuild cmus from scratch. I think that it tries its best to
build with whatever environment you have, which may mean
disabling all of the features that you need. :)

Regards,
--
Brandon McCaig <***@gmail.com> <***@castopulence.org>
Castopulence Software <https://www.castopulence.org/>