aspect and integration into the OSs
Filipe Funenga
2012-08-23 20:31:35 UTC
Hello,
I am an Ubuntu user and I use cmus to listen to music. The only thing
I dislike (although I obviously want stop using cmus because of it) is
that it does not have a unity's launcher (or something that would make
it appear on the app lens). I could make one myself that would call
"gnome-terminal --command="cmus"" but then the following problem
arises: what icon should I use !

- Is there any scheduled plan to give cmus an icon? If not, maybe a
contest (or something like that) could be made [just an idea on the
table]
- What is the reason for the name "cmus"? In the wiki [1] you have "C*
Music Player". What does that * mean?

In my opinion, an "About" separator in [2] (or maybe a "About" section
inside the "Features" separator) would be nice.

[1] http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php
[2] http://cmus.sourceforge.net/

Filipe Funenga
Lisbon PT
Jason Woofenden
2012-08-23 20:55:17 UTC
Hi Filipe,

Looks like someone made a cmus icon for Slackware:

- Jason
Johannes Weißl
2012-08-23 21:22:10 UTC
Hi Filipe,
Post by Filipe Funenga
I am an Ubuntu user and I use cmus to listen to music. The only thing
I dislike (although I obviously want stop using cmus because of it) is
that it does not have a unity's launcher (or something that would make
it appear on the app lens). I could make one myself that would call
"gnome-terminal --command="cmus"" but then the following problem
arises: what icon should I use !
Hmm, I never used Unity, but we generally include stuff that makes it
easier to use cmus (e.g. if I remember correctly, we had a zsh
completion script). So if somebody (or you) wants to write it, we can
think of a good way to include it.
Post by Filipe Funenga
- Is there any scheduled plan to give cmus an icon? If not, maybe a
contest (or something like that) could be made [just an idea on the
table]
I'm not aware of any icon, but the idea sounds great! I suck at making
graphic design, but maybe we have gifted users who want to contribute?
Post by Filipe Funenga
- What is the reason for the name "cmus"? In the wiki [1] you have "C*
Music Player". What does that * mean?
Good question! I always assumed it might stand for "Console Music" or
even the programming language (C), but I don't know exactly... does
anybody else? Sadly, the original author isn't reachable anymore, so no
hope to get help there.
Post by Filipe Funenga
In my opinion, an "About" separator in [2] (or maybe a "About" section
inside the "Features" separator) would be nice.
You mean something like the history section in Wikipedia (I wrote it)?
That would probably be a good idea, yes. Lets see if somebody can
contribute to the meaning of the name, then Gregory can include an
"About" section (if he thinks it is a good idea).
Post by Filipe Funenga
[1] http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php
[2] http://cmus.sourceforge.net/
Greetings,
Johannes
Filipe Funenga
2012-08-26 22:44:52 UTC
I've posted at ubuntu-forum [1] and, for now, I'm using this icon from
gnome:
/usr/share/icons/Humanity/apps/48/preferences-desktop-sound.svg
The code for the launcher is at the post.
Post by Johannes Weißl
You mean something like the history section in Wikipedia (I wrote it)?
Yes! exactly

Filipe Funenga
Lisbon PT

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12198191#post12198191
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hi Filipe,
Johannes
Filipe Funenga
2012-08-26 23:04:47 UTC
A video of the result:

Filipe Funenga
Lisbon PT
Post by Johannes Weißl
You mean something like the history section in Wikipedia (I wrote it)?
Yes! exactly
Filipe Funenga
Lisbon PT
[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12198191#post12198191
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hi Filipe,
Post by Filipe Funenga
[1] http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php
[2] http://cmus.sourceforge.net/
Greetings,
Johannes
Post by Johannes Weißl
Live Security Virtual Conference
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-08-27 05:21:10 UTC
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Filipe Funenga
Post by Filipe Funenga
http://youtu.be/uftM0mwaXV4
Filipe Funenga
Lisbon PT
Post by Filipe Funenga
I've posted at ubuntu-forum [1] and, for now, I'm using this icon from
/usr/share/icons/Humanity/apps/48/preferences-desktop-sound.svg
The code for the launcher is at the post.
Looks great! Can you please submit a patch that adds the code and the
instructions to the cmus' source tree?

Gregory