alsa pcm assertion error issue
Habs
2014-08-06 13:03:57 UTC
Gregory Petrosyan
2014-08-06 20:41:32 UTC
I'm using cmus with an ALSA setup.
Leaving dsp.alsa.device=default (default setup when installed) sound
is produced out of the speakers and it all works sweet.
in cmus i enter, set: dsp.alsa.device=iced_play
but when i try play a track, I get an assertion error and cmus crashes
cmus: pcm_params.c:2360: _snd_pcm_hw_params_internal: Assertion err >=
0 failed.
Can you please compile cmus from source (with max debug mode enabled
by «./configure DEBUG=2»), and launch cmus under gdb/lldb in order to
obtain precise stack trace? Also, please send the file
~/cmus-debug.txt as well — it might contain something useful too.

Gregory
Habs
2014-08-08 15:42:01 UTC
On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 00:41:32 +0400
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Habs
I'm using cmus with an ALSA setup.
Leaving dsp.alsa.device=default (default setup when installed)
sound is produced out of the speakers and it all works sweet.
in cmus i enter, set: dsp.alsa.device=iced_play
but when i try play a track, I get an assertion error and cmus
cmus: pcm_params.c:2360: _snd_pcm_hw_params_internal: Assertion err
= 0 failed.
Can you please compile cmus from source (with max debug mode enabled
by «./configure DEBUG=2»), and launch cmus under gdb/lldb in order to
obtain precise stack trace? Also, please send the file
~/cmus-debug.txt as well — it might contain something useful too.
Gregory
FAO Gregory

re-compiled (on Slackware 14.1 with ./configure DEBUG=2), installed and
run under gdb.

Crashed out again as expected. It seems to do it unless the
dsp.alsa.device=default is set.

If I set it to '=pcm.iced_play' or 'iced_play' (refer to original post)
then it fails.

Please find attached the files (cmus-debug and gdb backtrace).
Obviously I am not familiar with cmus to know what it all means; I will
try do my best. If you come up with any thing I can use/help with then
let me know.

Thank you for your assistance.
Habs
Gregory Petrosyan
2014-08-11 13:15:59 UTC
Post by Habs
re-compiled (on Slackware 14.1 with ./configure DEBUG=2), installed and
run under gdb.
Can you please make sure you are running the cmus/plugins *you have
compiled* (not system one) under gdb? `Starting program:
/usr/bin/cmus` and lack of debugging information are a bit suspicious.

It seems that `snd_pcm_hw_params()` call is making ALSA crash, but it
is hard for me to understand why is that.

Gregory
Habs
2014-08-12 07:02:28 UTC
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 17:15:59 +0400
On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Habs
Post by Habs
re-compiled (on Slackware 14.1 with ./configure DEBUG=2), installed
and run under gdb.
Can you please make sure you are running the cmus/plugins *you have
/usr/bin/cmus` and lack of debugging information are a bit suspicious.
It seems that `snd_pcm_hw_params()` call is making ALSA crash, but it
is hard for me to understand why is that.
Gregory
I will have another try.

Im running Slackware and using a Slackbuild script, which ensures
things go to the correct places in the system etc.

In the script the ./configure command is called on the original
sources. I have changed the DEBUG=0 to DEBUG=2.

You are obviously correct that gbd is reporting 'no debug info'.

Please give me some time to figure out why it seems to not be picking
up the DEBUG.

Thank you
--
Handle every Stressful situation like a dog: if you can't eat it or
play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Donovan Watteau
2014-08-12 07:58:54 UTC
Post by Habs
re-compiled (on Slackware 14.1 with ./configure DEBUG=2), installed
and run under gdb.
Can you please make sure you are running the cmus/plugins *you have
/usr/bin/cmus` and lack of debugging information are a bit suspicious.
It seems that `snd_pcm_hw_params()` call is making ALSA crash, but it
is hard for me to understand why is that.
Gregory
I will have another try.
Im running Slackware and using a Slackbuild script, which ensures
things go to the correct places in the system etc.
In the script the ./configure command is called on the original
sources. I have changed the DEBUG=0 to DEBUG=2.
You are obviously correct that gbd is reporting 'no debug info'.
Please give me some time to figure out why it seems to not be picking
up the DEBUG.
Hi,

SlackBuilds usually have something along these lines at the end:

find $PKG -print0 | xargs -0 file | grep -e "executable" -e "shared
object" | grep ELF \
| cut -f 1 -d : | xargs strip --strip-unneeded 2> /dev/null || true

(i.e. calls to the strip(1) utilty, which removes debug information
from binaries and libraries)

Just comment them out and debug information will be preserved.

Cheers.
Habs
2014-08-12 09:15:30 UTC
Post by Habs
re-compiled (on Slackware 14.1 with ./configure DEBUG=2),
installed and run under gdb.
Can you please make sure you are running the cmus/plugins *you
/usr/bin/cmus` and lack of debugging information are a bit
suspicious.
It seems that `snd_pcm_hw_params()` call is making ALSA crash,
but it is hard for me to understand why is that.
Gregory
I will have another try.
Im running Slackware and using a Slackbuild script, which ensures
things go to the correct places in the system etc.
In the script the ./configure command is called on the original
sources. I have changed the DEBUG=0 to DEBUG=2.
You are obviously correct that gbd is reporting 'no debug info'.
Please give me some time to figure out why it seems to not be
picking up the DEBUG.
Hi,
find $PKG -print0 | xargs -0 file | grep -e "executable" -e "shared
object" | grep ELF \
| cut -f 1 -d : | xargs strip --strip-unneeded 2> /dev/null || true
(i.e. calls to the strip(1) utilty, which removes debug information
from binaries and libraries)
Just comment them out and debug information will be preserved.
Cheers.
Thank you for that insight - I didn't know that. Every day I learn
something knew :-)