OS X: cmus to AirPlay?
Maya R. Odinezenko
2012-12-12 04:44:49 UTC
Hello!

I was wondering if it is possible to send the sound output of cmus to
AirPlay?

Thank you!

Maya
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-12-13 07:32:34 UTC
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Maya R. Odinezenko
Post by Maya R. Odinezenko
I was wondering if it is possible to send the sound output of cmus to
AirPlay?
Sorry, no idea — cmus does not know anything special about AirPlay, it
simply outputs sound to the default sound device (what libao is
using). So, if AirPlay is capable of streaming «what you'll have in
headphones» — then yes, otherwise no.

Gregory
Maya R. Odinezenko
2012-12-14 06:36:57 UTC
I think you misunderstood my question.

I have an Airport Express, and would like to stream what cmus is playing to
it.

Airplay is just the name of the technology for streaming music wirelessly
to an AirPort Express or audio/video to an AppleTV.

I can easily do this in iTunes, but I like how cmus handles large
libraries, especially libraries of mixed audio files.

Examples of this is Shairport and raop-client, and I have seen other
console audio players with AirPlay support.

Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-12-15 09:18:40 UTC
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Maya R. Odinezenko
Post by Maya R. Odinezenko
I think you misunderstood my question.
I have an Airport Express, and would like to stream what cmus is playing to
it.
Yep, I understand that :-)
Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-12-15 09:31:34 UTC
[sorry for previous message — accidental send]

Post by Maya R. Odinezenko
I can easily do this in iTunes, but I like how cmus handles large libraries,
especially libraries of mixed audio files.
Examples of this is Shairport and raop-client, and I have seen other console
audio players with AirPlay support.
I'll try to explain: AirPlay = RAOP client-server protocol. Cmus does
not contain any code that implements RAOP client protocol, so you can
not use cmus *alone* to stream to AirPort Express. However:

1. Certain sound systems, like PulseAudio (which cmus does support),
can transmit the music stream over the network. In particular,
PulseAudio has a module
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/pulseaudio-module-raop to stream any
incoming music to RAOP servers (e.g. AirPort Express). Don't know if
PulseAudio works on OS X, though.
2. Maybe (I don't know) there are built in options (or external
programs) on OS X to transmit all sound from the machine to the RAOP
server. If that is the case, you can use them for your purpose.

So, right now you can try to find and use external sound system,
program or option to stream cmus' sound output to the AirPort Express;
there is nothing in cmus itself for this task.

Maybe, at some point in future, this functionality will be integrated
into cmus, but right now it is not.

Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-12-15 09:49:08 UTC
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Gregory Petrosyan
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
So, right now you can try to find and use external sound system,
program or option to stream cmus' sound output to the AirPort Express;
there is nothing in cmus itself for this task.
After a little googling, it seems that your options are (I assume you
are using OS X) either Airfoil (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/),
which is commercial software, or RaopX (http://www.hersson.net/raopx),
which is free, but may be not so polished.

Gregory