Like/Tweet buttons on the website?
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-04-10 15:06:43 UTC
What is your opinion on adding unobtrusive versions of "Like" and "Tweet"
buttons to the bottom of cmus' webpage?

While I use neither of them, I think they might make more people start using
cmus (or at least try it out).

Gregory
Paul Kramer
2011-04-10 15:17:31 UTC
While I despise Facebook and don't use Twitter, I think these buttons
cannot "hurt" cmus and there is (as Gregory said) at least a chance that
more people use cmus.
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
What is your opinion on adding unobtrusive versions of "Like" and "Tweet"
buttons to the bottom of cmus' webpage?
While I use neither of them, I think they might make more people start using
cmus (or at least try it out).
Gregory
Xperia(TM) PLAY
And it wants your games.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-sfdev
Jason Woofenden
2011-04-10 16:15:14 UTC
I'd rather not put any icons your site that (such that they are
visible by default) that are associated with for-profit
corporations (such as facebook.)

However, I do like the idea of having a single, generic "share"
button at the bottom that pops up a list of sites you can
share/post to. And Facebook and Twitter should probably be in that
list (probably with icons.)

I'd like us to host the source code for it, and be
able to change it, etc. Starting from some open source solution
like http://www.enthropia.com/labs/share/ might be handy. Or it
might be easy to do with just jquery.

I want it local and editable because:

1) Should load fast, and it should not change the height of the
page when it finishes loading.

2) Then we can tweak it.

3) The sites offering an api to do this seem sketchy, I don't want
to rely on them, or give them our website statistics. And I
certainly don't want them to get to choose what sites we can link
to.

4) I'd like add identi.ca, prominently and be able to add a link
for a free software federated social networking service if/when
one becomes available. Both to support these services, and
because our target audience is often the early adopters of these.
It also nicely reflects our values.

That's my $0.02. I might have time to fiddle with implementing this
in a week or two. (If people like the idea, and nobody beats me to
it.)

Take care, - Jason
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-04-10 16:56:52 UTC
Post by Jason Woofenden
I'd rather not put any icons your site that (such that they are
visible by default) that are associated with for-profit
corporations (such as facebook.)
If we are using their service, why not put their icons on the page? It seems
fair to me. Also, Gitorious, SourceForge and Github are for-profit
corporations, too. I see nothing bad in this. Side note: all of them,
including Facebook, do contribute to open source a lot.
Post by Jason Woofenden
However, I do like the idea of having a single, generic "share"
button at the bottom that pops up a list of sites you can
share/post to. And Facebook and Twitter should probably be in that
list (probably with icons.)
I'd like us to host the source code for it, and be
able to change it, etc. Starting from some open source solution
like http://www.enthropia.com/labs/share/ might be handy. Or it
might be easy to do with just jquery.
This seems too complex for such a minor thing to me.

If you feel strong against "Like"/"Tweet" buttons, I am perfectly fine with
leaving the webpage as is. However, I don't think using more than half an hour
of time and couple of lines of code for this task is a good idea (better to
spend that time on cmus itself :-)

Gregory
Jason Woofenden
2011-04-10 17:56:58 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Post by Jason Woofenden
I'd rather not put any icons your site that (such that they are
visible by default) that are associated with for-profit
corporations (such as facebook.)
If we are using their service, why not put their icons on the page? It seems
fair to me. Also, Gitorious, SourceForge and Github are for-profit
corporations, too. I see nothing bad in this. Side note: all of them,
including Facebook, do contribute to open source a lot.
We aren't using Facebook's services. We're talking about making it
easier for our visitors to, but we aren't.

The thing with putting a company's logo or other icons on your
site, is that it comes across like an endorsement. I don't like
what Facebook is doing, so I want to avoid having their branding on
our site.

I do like what Gitorious is doing, and I'm happy to endorse them,
but I don't see any of their branding on our site. I think it would
be particularly incongruous to make Facebook's branding more
visible on our site than Gitorious.
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
If you feel strong against "Like"/"Tweet" buttons, I am perfectly fine with
leaving the webpage as is.
Please do for at least a couple weeks. If nobody else objects to
the like/tweet buttons by then, and I still haven't made the time
to make a simple "share" popup, then go for it.
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
However, I don't think using more than half an hour of time and
couple of lines of code for this task is a good idea (better to
spend that time on cmus itself :-)
Yeah, good point. This is why most small free software projects
have crappy websites. Ours is pretty good though!

I think I can whip it together pretty quick with jquery.

Take care, - Jason
Johannes Weißl
2011-04-10 23:25:24 UTC
Hello Gregory,
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
What is your opinion on adding unobtrusive versions of "Like" and "Tweet"
buttons to the bottom of cmus' webpage?
While I use neither of them, I think they might make more people start using
cmus (or at least try it out).
Thanks for releasing the new versions!

Generally, I am in favor of promoting cmus! I also don't use
facebook/twitter, the ratio of facebook-boycotters amongst the cmus user
base seems to be pretty high :-). I wonder if our site will generate any
FB likes at all... Github follow/watch would maybe fit better (but is
no option since we are on gitorious).

I have nearly the same opinion as Jason on this suggestion:
- If possible, no directly visible icons of FB/Twitter on the front
page. A link to a small javascript popup containing icons is ok
though!
- No tracking of users which are not FB users. As far as I know, the FB
button is loaded directly from them, and they (can) collect
information from every visitor, registered or not.

But Jason's suggestion (the generic share button) seems to be a good
solution, I'm looking forward to see it implemented!

Johannes
gt
2011-04-11 13:28:30 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
What is your opinion on adding unobtrusive versions of "Like" and "Tweet"
buttons to the bottom of cmus' webpage?
While I use neither of them, I think they might make more people start using
cmus (or at least try it out).
Gregory
Well i personally would hate to see these buttons on cmus' website.
There should be some place on the planet, where we should be spared of
these. Even on the TV, all the channels, especially news channels are
using terms like "tweet" and "like" and stuff.

I think adblock plus recently added a filter to block the like button
specifically.

And as others already said, i don't think cmus will find many potential
users on facebook and the like. If you really want to implement it, then
IMHO Jason's idea seems pretty reasonable. But, in the end it's your
call.