Composer Tag Support
docgnome
2012-05-25 21:06:41 UTC
Just started using cmus and I love it other than one thing...
Lack of support for the composer tag. I see on the wiki that someone
is working on this and was wondering if that is still the case. Wikis
can sometimes get out of date is why I ask.

If it is, if that developer needs any help, I'd be happy to lend a
hand.

If it isn't true, I'd be willing to take a crack at it.
Johannes Weißl
2012-05-28 12:42:35 UTC
Post by docgnome
Just started using cmus and I love it other than one thing...
Lack of support for the composer tag. I see on the wiki that someone
is working on this and was wondering if that is still the case. Wikis
can sometimes get out of date is why I ask.
If it is, if that developer needs any help, I'd be happy to lend a
hand.
If it isn't true, I'd be willing to take a crack at it.
Great you like cmus! You are right, the wiki is outdated (my fault).
I've already implemented support for the composer tag, and some more.
My PATCH message (and discussion about it) is here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.cmus.devel/506

You have to use the current master branch though (the feature is not yet
in any released version).

How do you want to use the tag? Because right now, it isn't very useful
(no filtering, no handling of multiple composers, no conditionals in
format strings).

Greetings,
Johannes
docgnome
2012-05-28 15:35:26 UTC
At Mon, 28 May 2012 14:42:35 +0200,
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hi,
Great you like cmus! You are right, the wiki is outdated (my fault).
I've already implemented support for the composer tag, and some more.
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.cmus.devel/506
Woot!
Post by Johannes Weißl
You have to use the current master branch though (the feature is not yet
in any released version).
How do you want to use the tag? Because right now, it isn't very useful
(no filtering, no handling of multiple composers, no conditionals in
format strings).
Well I'd like to be able to filter by it and display it. Also as a
side note is there a way to get a track to take up more than one line?
I'd like to do that to format a little more clearly what I'm looking
at.
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-05-29 20:08:11 UTC
Johannes Weißl
2012-05-30 19:55:18 UTC
Christoph Rauch
2012-05-30 20:27:24 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
It would be very complicated to extend the track_info structure to allow
arbitrary amount of tags, so I would suggest to just join the fields
using " / " (it could even be configurable).
It might be complicated, yes, but I think it would be a very unique
feature among music players for unix-based systems. I, for one, am time
and again astonished by the fact that there is no single music player
that can handle multiple and arbitrary tags. In that respect, nothing in
the unix world comes even close to foobar2000 (for Windows). In foobar,
you can just assign any tag (custom, standard or even combinations via
format string) to any column in the playlist/library view and define
groupings etc.

Back to topic: I guess joining the fields would be a necessity which is
not at all limiting. You could easily extract the single entries from
the joint field for use in other places again, and as you mentioned,
filtering would work well.

Cheers,
Christoph
Johannes Weißl
2012-06-14 19:31:50 UTC
Hi Christoph,
Post by Christoph Rauch
Post by Johannes Weißl
It would be very complicated to extend the track_info structure to allow
arbitrary amount of tags, so I would suggest to just join the fields
using " / " (it could even be configurable).
It might be complicated, yes, but I think it would be a very unique
feature among music players for unix-based systems. I, for one, am time
and again astonished by the fact that there is no single music player
that can handle multiple and arbitrary tags. In that respect, nothing in
the unix world comes even close to foobar2000 (for Windows). In foobar,
you can just assign any tag (custom, standard or even combinations via
format string) to any column in the playlist/library view and define
groupings etc.
Yes, foobar2000 is really a very nice player, unmatched in the Unix
world. I think a nice "clone" if you want is DeaDBeeF. Of course none of
them has the console-only beauty of cmus :-).
Post by Christoph Rauch
Back to topic: I guess joining the fields would be a necessity which is
not at all limiting. You could easily extract the single entries from
the joint field for use in other places again, and as you mentioned,
filtering would work well.
Yes, I think I will send a patch shortly that does that... I currently
don't have the time to code a full arbitrary/multiple tags patch, but
the joined-field approach doesn't mean we can't upgrade to that later...

Greetings,

Johannes