question about publicating and archiving the list
Gergely Gábor
2011-04-13 17:57:22 UTC
Greetings!

I have a question about this list, that is partly of legal nature:

I have found the great gmane.org service, that is an NNTP interface to
several mailing lists. This service serves any mailing list that is
subscribed to it.
I have found it very useful, as usually i only read lists, but do not write
to them, and this helps to keep my mailboxes clean. I'd add, or ask the list
maintainers, to add the list, if it is possibly, and they would aggree to
this, and unsubscribe from the list, as this would be more convinient for my
use customs.

The service has a website, that states the legal questions related to their
service:

the following quotes are from there, for those who are not that interrested,
to click the URL :D :

"...

Privacy
The second major problem is the loss of privacy, and is a bit more difficult
to program around.
All the mailing lists archived in Gmane are open mailing lists. The
subscription commands sent out by Gmane clearly identifies Gmane as a
mail-to-news gateway, and any administrator running a closed mailing list
should be able to refuse Gmane entry. Perhaps the subscription message
should be made even more explicit, somehow.

Still, even open mailing lists are somewhat less public than, say, a Usenet
newsgroup. The assumption on (some) mailing lists is that whatever happens
on the list will only be read by the other (few hundred) participants, and
won't be archived anywhere. It's one step up from IRC.

Pushing something that is somewhat public, but somewhat private, into the
entirely public sphere is inherently problematic.

A Statement
I grepped through quite a bit of the news spool looking for negative
reactions from participants on mailing lists about being archived in Gmane.
There weren't many, which might have something to do with the participants
not knowing about Gmane, but on the lists where Gmane was being discussed,
there were a couple. (And quite a few positive ones.) One writer expressed
skepticism about Gmane because he couldn't find a privacy statement anywhere
on the site.
I must confess that my first reaction was to roll my eyes a bit, and my
second reaction was to be somewhat amused -- after all, only criminals swear
that they aren't. Honest people take it for granted.

But he has a point. I could be evil.

So here's the statement: I won't use any of the contents of the Gmane news
spool for spamming, for advertisement, for sending mass mail, for gathering
profiling information, or anything of that kind, or willingly allow anybody
else to do the same. In fact, I'll do my darnest to make it difficult for
anybody else to do so, to the best of my abilities.

..."

Thanks for the consideration of the above, and waiting for the decision
eagerly.

Yours Sincerely:
Gábor Gergely
---
Bízzál Istenben, és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!
Put yout trust in God, and keep the gunpoweder dry!
a.l.e
2011-04-13 19:22:25 UTC
hi gergely,

i don't really see where the problem is :-)

... our mailing list provider already does archive all the mails

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=cmus-devel

so, i don't think that getting the mails archived by gmane will change much.

ciao
a.l.e
Post by Gergely Gábor
Greetings!
[...]
Forrester Wave Report - Recovery time is now measured in hours and
minutes not days. Key insights are discussed in the 2010 Forrester
Wave Report as part of an in-depth evaluation of disaster recovery
service providers. Forrester found the best-in-class provider in
terms of services and vision. Read this report now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/ibm-webcastpromo
Gergely Gábor
2011-04-13 19:46:07 UTC
Hi!

Ok, still i thought asking first is the right thing to do. Then I shall
start the process at the weekend, should there be no objections.

Greetings:
Gábor Gergely