no keys no sound
a.l.e
2010-11-03 11:28:24 UTC
hi cmusers,

today my cmus (on debian testing) stopped to correctly work...

on the one side i had no sound anymore. googling the error message taught me to (re)set the default sound engine and so on and now it works again.

but i can't find a solution for the other problem: i can go in command mode (:something) but i can't use the keys anymore when directly dealing with the "gui".

so, i have to :player-next instead of pressing b.

afaict, the only "special" part is that i'm running cmus over ssh...

any idea?

ciao
a.l.e
Paul van der Walt
2010-11-03 16:35:34 UTC
You could try deleting your ~/.cmus/autosave (unless you have
cool settings, save them then) as sometimes your key bindings
get clobbered. I've had this once, couldn't figure out why.

HTH

Paul
Post by a.l.e
hi cmusers,
today my cmus (on debian testing) stopped to correctly work...
on the one side i had no sound anymore. googling the error message taught me to (re)set the default sound engine and so on and now it works again.
but i can't find a solution for the other problem: i can go in command mode (:something) but i can't use the keys anymore when directly dealing with the "gui".
so, i have to :player-next instead of pressing b.
afaict, the only "special" part is that i'm running cmus over ssh...
any idea?
ciao
a.l.e
Achieve Improved Network Security with IP and DNS Reputation.
Defend against bad network traffic, including botnets, malware,
phishing sites, and compromised hosts - saving your company time,
money, and embarrassment. Learn More!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/hpdev2dev-nov
a.l.e
2010-11-03 17:33:12 UTC
On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 22:13:27 +0800
Andrew Fuller <***@gmail.com> wrote:

hi andrew,
Post by a.l.e
so, i have to :player-next instead of pressing b.
Have you checked that cmus's keybindings are still in the autosave
file? It's possible that a sound card issue caused cmus to crash, and
the autosave file no longer has the default keybindings.
yep, that solved it!

but now i have to redo the alsa settings... i guess i have also updated
and now new rules apply (i get "Error: opening audio device: internal error")

voilĂ , now it works again!

ciao and thanks
a.l.e
Andrew Fuller
2010-11-03 22:41:19 UTC
Post by a.l.e
yep, that solved it!
I've had that problem before too. The autosave file exists, but most
(or all?) of the keybindings are gone. It's a frustrating bug, and
until we fix it maybe we should add a workaround that makes sure the
default keybindings get loaded. I can imagine a user becoming quite
confused when the program seemingly "crashes" on startup, and doesn't
accept any key input. Also, I don't think many users would
intentionally run cmus with no keybindings, so a temporary workaround
like this wouldn't bother someone who intentionally removed some of
their keybindings.

Andrew