Arrange library by "artist" instead of "albumartist"
Julian Orth
2012-09-18 18:46:57 UTC
https://gitorious.org/~juorth/cmus/juorths-cmus2/commits/prefer_artist

My library consists of several hundred (or maybe one hundred) artists
who don't release albums but only single tracks. However, some of
these artists come together and release compilations. Until now, one
artist's songs might be scattered about my library. This setting would
fix the problem.
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-09-21 10:58:41 UTC
Post by Julian Orth
https://gitorious.org/~juorth/cmus/juorths-cmus2/commits/prefer_artist
My library consists of several hundred (or maybe one hundred) artists
who don't release albums but only single tracks. However, some of
these artists come together and release compilations. Until now, one
artist's songs might be scattered about my library. This setting would
fix the problem.
Thanks a lot, I'll try to review this during the weekend. Sorry for
the delayed reply!

Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2012-09-24 14:17:45 UTC
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Gregory Petrosyan
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Post by Julian Orth
https://gitorious.org/~juorth/cmus/juorths-cmus2/commits/prefer_artist
My library consists of several hundred (or maybe one hundred) artists
who don't release albums but only single tracks. However, some of
these artists come together and release compilations. Until now, one
artist's songs might be scattered about my library. This setting would
fix the problem.
Thanks a lot, I'll try to review this during the weekend. Sorry for
the delayed reply!
I've reviewed the patch, but I am not sure it is suitable for merge.
Let me explain: my understanding is that the goal is to be able to see
fragments from compilation albums «scattered about all artists»; and
this breaks tree view idea that (when not using filters) track list on
the right represents entire contents of an album selected on the left
(and that artists are authors of the albums that are listed below
their name on the left).

IMO the proper approach is to use filters (super handy live-filter in
particular suitable for this task), and they solve the stated issue
very well for me. What do you think?

Gregory