Thank you's and two bugs (?)
Enric Caussa Morales
2010-11-19 16:12:13 UTC
Enric Caussa Morales
2010-11-19 16:13:48 UTC
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:05:20 +0100
From: Enric Caussa Morales <***@enric.me>
To: cmus-***@lits.sourceforge.net
Subject: Thank you's and two bugs (?)

Hi List!
First, let me thank you for your great work on Cmus! I find it a great replacement for iTunes on my MacBook Pro, as it's faster and configurable.
Now i find a couple of bugs or what is at least strange behaviour.
1. When shuffle mode is on, on Cmus 2.3.3, Cmus will skip some songs or stop the playback in a random song. So when I have a long playlist it will play four or five songs, and then it will stop.
2. I use libao as backend, as I am using OS X. Switching from the headphones port to the speakers won't work. For example, I am playing now some music, from the computer to my sound system, I remove the headphone jack and there will be no sound. If I plug the jack again, Cmus wil continue playing music, but there won't be no sound. Is this a libao bug?
So thanks again for this great app and keep up the good work!

Enric
Gregory Petrosyan
2010-11-19 20:42:46 UTC
Post by Enric Caussa Morales
Hi List!
First, let me thank you for your great work on Cmus! I find it a great
replacement for iTunes on my MacBook Pro, as it's faster and configurable.
Thanks, really nice to hear this!
Post by Enric Caussa Morales
Now i find a couple of bugs or what is at least strange behaviour.
1. When shuffle mode is on, on Cmus 2.3.3, Cmus will skip some songs or stop
the playback in a random song. So when I have a long playlist it will play
four or five songs, and then it will stop.
I'll try to look into this issue in the next couple of days.
Post by Enric Caussa Morales
2. I use libao as backend, as I
am using OS X. Switching from the headphones port to the speakers won't
work. For example, I am playing now some music, from the computer to my
sound system, I remove the headphone jack and there will be no sound. If I
plug the jack again, Cmus wil continue playing music, but there won't be no
sound. Is this a libao bug?
I'll try to reproduce this on my mac, but I'm 99% sure this is a libao bug,
and we have no way of fixing it.

IIRC this is the second serious libao-on-mac bug (the first one is "no sound
after sleep"). Hmm, even more reasons to have a native Core Audio output
plugin...

Gregory
Andrew Fuller
2010-11-21 12:39:41 UTC
Post by Enric Caussa Morales
1. When shuffle mode is on, on Cmus 2.3.3, Cmus will skip some songs or stop the playback in a random song. So when I have a long playlist it will play four or five songs, and then it will stop.
It sounds like there might be a few songs in your playlist that cmus
can't handle, so it stops playback rather than skipping to a different
song. I would expect it to show you a red error message, but maybe the
error is disappearing before you have a chance to read it. Can you try
adding a few known good songs to your playlist, and see if it still
stops after having played 4 or 5 of them?

Also, if you can, recompile cmus with the debug log (./configure
DEBUG=2) and see if you can find anything suspicious after it acts
strangely.

Andrew
Enric Caussa Morales
Enric Caussa Morales <***@enric.me>
Gregory Petrosyan
2010-11-27 15:19:45 UTC
Post by Enric Caussa Morales
1. When shuffle mode is on, on Cmus 2.3.3, Cmus will skip some songs or stop the playback in a random song. So when I have a long playlist it will play four or five songs, and then it will stop.
Setting "repeat" to true should "fix" this problem, until the proper
fix will arrive.

                Gregory
Enric Caussa Morales
2010-11-28 03:42:23 UTC
Yeah, the problem seems to be that cmus shuffles the songs, and there will be songs it hasn't played that will be skipped, because they are before the "shuffle start" song on the playlist.
I saw this the day before, when looking at the debug messages there wouldn't be any error at all, it would just play four, five, or seven songs, for example. Maybe the best approach to shuffle is: play the current song, and shuffle the other songs, instead of shuffling an album and play from the shuffled track number.
I don't know if i'm explaining myself.
Cheers,

                Gregory
a.l.e
2010-11-28 11:49:13 UTC
hi,
Post by Enric Caussa Morales
Yeah, the problem seems to be that cmus shuffles the songs, and there
will be songs it hasn't played that will be skipped, because they are
before the "shuffle start" song on the playlist. I saw this the day
before, when looking at the debug messages there wouldn't be any
error at all, it would just play four, five, or seven songs, for
example. Maybe the best approach to shuffle is: play the current
song, and shuffle the other songs, instead of shuffling an album and
play from the shuffled track number. I don't know if i'm explaining
myself. Cheers,
since we are talking about shuffling: is there any way to shuffle the queue?

personally, i like to add a few dozen tracks into the queue (things i like to listen to in the next 2 hours) and then listen only to those one in random order...

ciao
a.l.e
Gregory Petrosyan
2010-11-29 00:15:40 UTC
Post by a.l.e
since we are talking about shuffling: is there any way to shuffle the queue?
personally, i like to add a few dozen tracks into the queue (things i like
to listen to in the next 2 hours) and then listen only to those one in
random order...
AFAIK you can't shuffle a queue. But you definitely can shuffle a playlist.

Gregory
gt
2010-11-29 04:55:55 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Post by a.l.e
since we are talking about shuffling: is there any way to shuffle the queue?
personally, i like to add a few dozen tracks into the queue (things i like
to listen to in the next 2 hours) and then listen only to those one in
random order...
AFAIK you can't shuffle a queue. But you definitely can shuffle a playlist.
Gregory
Though you can manually re-arrange the tracks (which isn't exactly what you want)
, using p to move the queued track down, and P to move it up.
a.l.e
2010-11-29 07:05:42 UTC
hi
Post by gt
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
AFAIK you can't shuffle a queue. But you definitely can shuffle a playlist.
Gregory
Though you can manually re-arrange the tracks (which isn't exactly
what you want) , using p to move the queued track down, and P to move
it up.
yep, this is what i do... pjjjpjjjpjjjpkkPkPkPPPPP :-)

ciao
a.l.e

Gregory Petrosyan
2010-11-19 16:43:37 UTC
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Enric Caussa Morales <***@enric.me> wrote:
Sorry, you message is empty!

                Gregory
gt
2010-11-20 06:19:21 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Sorry, you message is empty!
                Gregory
hehe, i was wondering the same. Problem with mutt? :P