Small small bugs
Martin Steer
2011-03-07 05:00:24 UTC

I notice that Esc doesn't close the command prompt, as both ^C and ^G do
(Esc does close the prompt in vim).

In the Settings view, the functions of ^C and 'I' are badly (or wrongly)
described, I guess because of the way they're generated. The
descriptions reoccur in the manual. There is no entry for ^G. The error
message for 'I' (in the screens where it's unsupported) would be better
if shortened to "Echo is supported only in views 1-4".

I'm running the latest from git master.

Cheers,

Martin
Johannes Weißl
2011-03-07 09:24:04 UTC
Hello Martin,
Post by Martin Steer
I notice that Esc doesn't close the command prompt, as both ^C and ^G do
(Esc does close the prompt in vim).
Hmm, it does close the command prompt for me (but after a short timeout,
just like in vim). Can you send me the debug output (cmus-debug.txt)
after compiling this branch [1] with DEBUG=2?

[1] http://gitorious.org/~jmuc/cmus/jw-cmus/commits/key-debug
Post by Martin Steer
In the Settings view, the functions of ^C and 'I' are badly (or
wrongly) described, I guess because of the way they're generated. The
descriptions reoccur in the manual.
What do you mean? The settings view does not contain a description of
the commands, but a literal mapping (key <-> command), which is accurate
but maybe not very descriptive. They could of course be explained in the
manual.
Post by Martin Steer
There is no entry for ^G.
Yes, most (all?) of the command-mode only keys are hard-coded and not
documented. It does not make sense to list them in the settings view,
because they are not configurable. They could be listed in the manual
though.
Post by Martin Steer
The error message for 'I' (in the screens where it's unsupported)
would be better if shortened to "Echo is supported only in views 1-4".
Hmm, but echo is supported in views other than 1-4, only the '{}'
substitution doesn't work, so the error message seems to be correct.

Johannes
Martin Steer
2011-03-07 15:39:15 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Martin Steer
I notice that Esc doesn't close the command prompt, as both ^C and ^G do
(Esc does close the prompt in vim).
Hmm, it does close the command prompt for me (but after a short timeout,
just like in vim).
I can't reproduce this at will, but Esc sometimes won't clear command
text, and sometimes won't close the prompt.

As an aside, is there any reason for the timeout? It's sometimes
irritating in vim, and irritating here as well. Esc's useful with
filters, say if you start to enter one and decide to clear it. (I'm so
used to hitting Esc that it's always the first thing I try.)
Post by Johannes Weißl
after compiling this branch [1] with DEBUG=2?
[1] http://gitorious.org/~jmuc/cmus/jw-cmus/commits/key-debug
I'll do this.
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Martin Steer
In the Settings view, the functions of ^C and 'I' are badly (or
wrongly) described, I guess because of the way they're generated. The
descriptions reoccur in the manual.
What do you mean? The settings view does not contain a description of
the commands, but a literal mapping (key <-> command), which is accurate
but maybe not very descriptive. They could of course be explained in the
manual.
Should be explained in the manual, if not obvious.

Well, the binding on ^C is somewhat odd, given that the configurable
default is a note to the user that the key won't quit cmus. But I see
that it allows me to remove a message I may get tired of.
Post by Martin Steer
The error message for 'I' (in the screens where it's unsupported)
would be better if shortened to "Echo is supported only in views 1-4".
Hmm, but echo is supported in views other than 1-4, only the '{}'
substitution doesn't work, so the error message seems to be correct.
Not from the point of view of the user. In the Browser view, for
example, nothing gets echoed, as far as I can tell. I'm no wiser after
consulting the manual.

Are you interested in genealogy? I think a cmus-like interface would be
great for displaying family data. Filtering's useful there too.

Cheers,

Martin
Johannes Weißl
2011-03-07 16:48:12 UTC
Hello Martin,
Post by Martin Steer
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Martin Steer
I notice that Esc doesn't close the command prompt, as both ^C and ^G do
(Esc does close the prompt in vim).
Hmm, it does close the command prompt for me (but after a short timeout,
just like in vim).
I can't reproduce this at will, but Esc sometimes won't clear command
text, and sometimes won't close the prompt.
That is strange, it should always clear and close the prompt. Of course
you have to wait the timeout period, otherwise it won't work. See below
for alternatives. Can you reproduce the behaviour and tell the name of
the system and terminal emulator you are using?
Post by Martin Steer
As an aside, is there any reason for the timeout? It's sometimes
irritating in vim, and irritating here as well. Esc's useful with
filters, say if you start to enter one and decide to clear it. (I'm so
used to hitting Esc that it's always the first thing I try.)
Esc is used for escape sequences [1], that is the reason for the
timeout. This is why (I guess) most console users don't use it to clear
the prompt. Ctrl-C is an option, or Ctrl-U.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_sequence
Post by Martin Steer
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Martin Steer
In the Settings view, the functions of ^C and 'I' are badly (or
wrongly) described, I guess because of the way they're generated. The
descriptions reoccur in the manual.
What do you mean? The settings view does not contain a description of
the commands, but a literal mapping (key <-> command), which is accurate
but maybe not very descriptive. They could of course be explained in the
manual.
Should be explained in the manual, if not obvious.
Can you write a patch so it is clearer what you mean?
Post by Martin Steer
Well, the binding on ^C is somewhat odd, given that the configurable
default is a note to the user that the key won't quit cmus. But I see
that it allows me to remove a message I may get tired of.
Ctrl-C closes the prompt (think of it as a fast Esc) when in
command-line mode. The other key binding is a help for users, because
Ctrl-C is often used to quit command-line programs. If you see this
message when you are editing the prompt (after pressing Ctrl-C), this is
a bug. In that case, can you mail what system and terminal emulator you
are using?
Post by Martin Steer
Post by Johannes Weißl
Post by Martin Steer
The error message for 'I' (in the screens where it's unsupported)
would be better if shortened to "Echo is supported only in views 1-4".
Hmm, but echo is supported in views other than 1-4, only the '{}'
substitution doesn't work, so the error message seems to be correct.
Not from the point of view of the user. In the Browser view, for
example, nothing gets echoed, as far as I can tell. I'm no wiser after
consulting the manual.
Try ":echo foo" in browser view, it should work. Only if '{}' appears,
e.g. ":echo foo {}", it doesn't work (because no track is selected).
Post by Martin Steer
Are you interested in genealogy? I think a cmus-like interface would be
great for displaying family data. Filtering's useful there too.
Hmm, I'm not specifically interested (maybe others?). But for genealogy
a graphical output (with a tree that supports more than two levels ;-))
would be better suited. Cmus interface isn't 100% separated from the
backend, so it is not easy to use it for other applications.

Johannes