wiki page for extensions
Johannes Weißl
2011-04-14 11:55:21 UTC
Hello everyone!

it seems to be the time for web improvement ideas, so I have one too:
How about a really small wiki area on the website for
status-display-programs, scripts (which use cmus-remote) and other stuff
(like the lan control by Jason). I'm sure lots of users have written
awesome stuff for their favourite instant messenger, window manager,
etc, but they are all scattered around the web or even only on their
computers. A wiki would have the advantage to be a central place for all
those helpful additions. Also it would mean less work for the maintainers,
as it could be easily managed by the community (without having to create
a git pull request every time like now).
It would not replace the website or duplicate any information!

For an implementation I would suggest DokuWiki [1], as it is small and
easy to manage (no database, all pages are stored as text files).
What do you think?

[1] http://www.dokuwiki.org/

Johannes
gt
2011-04-14 12:34:11 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hello everyone!
How about a really small wiki area on the website for
status-display-programs, scripts (which use cmus-remote) and other stuff
(like the lan control by Jason). I'm sure lots of users have written
awesome stuff for their favourite instant messenger, window manager,
etc, but they are all scattered around the web or even only on their
computers. A wiki would have the advantage to be a central place for all
those helpful additions. Also it would mean less work for the maintainers,
as it could be easily managed by the community (without having to create
a git pull request every time like now).
It would not replace the website or duplicate any information!
For an implementation I would suggest DokuWiki [1], as it is small and
easy to manage (no database, all pages are stored as text files).
What do you think?
[1] http://www.dokuwiki.org/
The idea seems great. It will help a lot of users. I remember having to
search around a lot to get the status display working with my dwm bar.

With a collection of various methods, we can experiment around and even
learn better practices from community members.
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-04-16 10:28:52 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hello everyone!
How about a really small wiki area on the website for
status-display-programs, scripts (which use cmus-remote) and other stuff
(like the lan control by Jason). I'm sure lots of users have written
awesome stuff for their favourite instant messenger, window manager,
etc, but they are all scattered around the web or even only on their
computers. A wiki would have the advantage to be a central place for all
those helpful additions. Also it would mean less work for the maintainers,
as it could be easily managed by the community (without having to create
a git pull request every time like now).
It would not replace the website or duplicate any information!
For an implementation I would suggest DokuWiki [1], as it is small and
easy to manage (no database, all pages are stored as text files).
What do you think?
Hi Johannes,

Sorry for not replying for 2 days. I like this idea a lot. Sourceforge
does provide pre-configured MediaWiki, but it looks ugly due to
enormous panel with a banner on top of every page. I'll try installing
DokuWiki today!

                Gregory
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-04-16 11:51:35 UTC
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Gregory Petrosyan
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hello everyone!
[...]
Ready!

http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki

Will update cmus.sf.net with link to the wiki soon.

                Gregory
Johannes Weißl
2011-04-16 23:58:19 UTC
Post by Gregory Petrosyan
Ready!
http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki
Will update cmus.sf.net with link to the wiki soon.
Thanks! I will populate the wiki with some information! If someone knows
a useful extension which is not listed, please add :-)!

There was an error when registering a new user though:
"Looks like there was an error on sending the password mail. Please
contact the admin!"

Johannes