Playing audio CDs
Storm Dragon
2011-08-17 00:01:36 UTC
There's something I am not getting about this. I've probably
misunderstood the man page. I put in the CD, then entered :cdda:// which
I thought was the command to start playback but it didn't work. I
checked the configuration file and the device is set /dev/cdrom. What am
I doing wrong?
thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: http://counter.li.org/
My last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/stormdragon2976
Jason Woofenden
2011-08-17 18:37:21 UTC
I believe the command is: :add cdda://

Then you wait a while, for it to read the CD, and try to figgure
out the track names. After that, it'll put the tracks in your
library, and you can play them as you do your music files.

To put them in your playlist instead, do: :add -p cdda://

In my experience, it's only really slow the first time, after that
the track name lookup is blazing fast.

- Jason
Storm Dragon
2011-08-19 01:45:14 UTC
Lol sorry about responding to you instead of the list, I forgot to
change the address. When I do :add -p cdda:// nothing gets added to the
play list but there is no error either. It's like the program
understands what I want but just doesn't do it. I read in the manual
that you have to have a plugin for cmus to play CDs, is it included by
default or do I have to download it from somewhere?
Thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: http://counter.li.org/
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.us/
How many Internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb? http://goo.gl/eO4PJ
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormdragon2976
"Yeah my whole family done give up on me, and it makes me feel oh so bad. The only one who'll hang out with me is my dear ol' grand dad, and we drink alone."
George Thorogood
What do you mean it works? What does it do if it doesn't give you
audio tracks?
You mean they never get added to your library or that you can't
play them, or that they seem to play, but you don't hear anything?
Please report any error messages, and please respond to the list
(rather than me directly.) I'm definitely not the most
knowledgeable about this.
Take care, - Jason
Hi,
Thanks, this works without errors, but I am still not getting the audio
tracks. I read something about needing a plugin. Is this included in
Cmus by default or do I need to download it from somewhere?
thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: http://counter.li.org/
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.us/
How many Internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb? http://goo.gl/eO4PJ
Do you get paid for tweeting? I do: http://spn.tw/r11uj
"Death or glory i will find, Rebellion on my mind."
Grave Digger
Johannes Weißl
2011-08-27 18:36:51 UTC
Post by Storm Dragon
Lol sorry about responding to you instead of the list, I forgot to
change the address. When I do :add -p cdda:// nothing gets added to the
play list but there is no error either. It's like the program
understands what I want but just doesn't do it. I read in the manual
that you have to have a plugin for cmus to play CDs, is it included by
default or do I have to download it from somewhere?
Thanks for testing the plugin! All the information for using CDDA
support is here:
http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=cdda_support

You need the following packages:
apt-get install libdiscid0-dev libcdio-dev libcdio-cdda-dev libcddb2-dev

and run ./configure with "CONFIG_CDIO=y", e.g.:
./configure CONFIG_CDIO=y

`cmus --plugins` should list the "cdio" plugin if everything worked out
successfully.

Can you compile cmus with DEBUG=2 (as configure option) and send the
output of cmus-debug.txt in your home directory after trying to add the
CD?

Maybe you could try to play the CD with another program, and then try
cmus, and see if that works...

Johannes
Storm Dragon
2011-08-27 19:04:23 UTC
The CD plugin works great. The debug file contained only one line:
main: charset = 'UTF-8'
There is one small problem for people using screen readers. It's not too
big of a deal, but if there are a lot of files listed, like my music
collection, it is hard to actually find the list of files from the CD.
Would it be possible to make a view that only contains the files from
the CD? It could only show up when a disk is detected, or it could
always be there and just be empty with no disk in the drive. Maybe it
could be view 8.
thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: http://counter.li.org/
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.us/
How many Internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb? http://goo.gl/eO4PJ
Do you get paid for tweeting? I do: http://spn.tw/r11uj
"And the blood drains down like devil's rain, We'll bathe tonight."
The Misfits
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hi,
Johannes Weißl
2011-08-27 19:17:19 UTC
Post by Storm Dragon
main: charset = 'UTF-8'
Hmm, does that mean playing of CDs works now for you in cmus? If so,
great :-). I've also noticed that sometimes the CDs are just not
recognized, and sometimes they are, but I noticed this with other
applications than cmus also, so I thought this might be a bug of the
libcdio library / Linux or optical discs in general :-). Also, my drive
is very very cheap (10$, really!).
Post by Storm Dragon
There is one small problem for people using screen readers. It's not too
big of a deal, but if there are a lot of files listed, like my music
collection, it is hard to actually find the list of files from the CD.
Would it be possible to make a view that only contains the files from
the CD? It could only show up when a disk is detected, or it could
always be there and just be empty with no disk in the drive. Maybe it
could be view 8.
You can use the fact that all cdda files start with "cdda://", so if you
just want to view the CD, you can use this command:

:filter ~f"cdda://*"

(or just ~fcdda if you don't have any files that contain "cdda" :-))

Does that work for you?

Greetings,
Johannes
Storm Dragon
2011-08-27 19:51:42 UTC
The CD plays just fine. I have tried 3 so far and they all play.
The filter command works well. I'll have to keep this msg around for
reference because I don't play many CDs usually.
Thanks
Storm
--
Vinux Publicity Coordinator: http://www.vinuxproject.org/
Registered Linux user number 508465: http://counter.li.org/
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.us/
How many Internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb? http://goo.gl/eO4PJ
My last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/stormdragon2976
"with a trunk big enough to fit three bodies in"
Calabrese
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hi,
Johannes Weißl
2011-08-28 01:20:48 UTC
Post by Storm Dragon
The CD plays just fine. I have tried 3 so far and they all play.
The filter command works well. I'll have to keep this msg around for
reference because I don't play many CDs usually.
Great! You can just bind it to a key (e.g. 'C' for CD):
:bind -f common C filter ~f"cdda://*"

then you can use 'C' to just show the CD tracks and 'F'+<enter> to show
all tracks again!

Johannes

Paul van der Walt