Cmus and Pulseaudio
m***@paranoici.org
2011-05-31 15:55:54 UTC
Hello there,

I got a question for you: when I incr/decr volume in cmus it doesn't
change my system volume.

I run cmus v2.4.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 with Pulseaudio.
On my .cmus/autosave there are these lines:

set mixer.alsa.channel=
set mixer.alsa.device=
set mixer.oss.channel=PCM
set mixer.oss.device=
set mixer.pulse.restore_volume=1
set output_plugin=pulse
set softvol=false

Is this the behaviour normal?
Or have I misconfigured something?
The player I used before (mocp) changes also the system volume and I
was fine with it.
Is it possible to set cmus to behave in this way?

TYA for any suggestion
Johannes Weißl
2011-05-31 17:05:43 UTC
Post by m***@paranoici.org
I got a question for you: when I incr/decr volume in cmus it doesn't
change my system volume.
I run cmus v2.4.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 with Pulseaudio.
set mixer.alsa.channel=
set mixer.alsa.device=
set mixer.oss.channel=PCM
set mixer.oss.device=
set mixer.pulse.restore_volume=1
set output_plugin=pulse
set softvol=false
This should be fine, the alsa/oss settings don't affect PulseAudio
output!
Post by m***@paranoici.org
Is this the behaviour normal?
Or have I misconfigured something?
The player I used before (mocp) changes also the system volume and I
was fine with it.
Is it possible to set cmus to behave in this way?
Yes, this behaviour is normal! You should notice that nearly all audio
players besides mocp behave this way. In PulseAudio, every player
should only change their own volume setting. I don't know actually why
mocp behaves this way...

If you have "flat-volumes = no" in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, no "normal"
audio player affects the system volume.

However if it is "yes" (which is the default), the system volume is
changed by an obscure logic, in which sometimes applications change the
system volume, sometimes not (I think it is somehow set to the loudest
application). So if cmus is not your loudest application, the system
volume doesn't change.

I feel most comfortable with the "flat-volumes = no" setting. I set the
system volume myself globally, and each application can only control
it's own slider (0-100% of the current system volume).

If you have further questions or suggestions how to improve the
situation, please write!

Johannes
Johannes Weißl
2011-05-31 17:49:53 UTC
Post by m***@paranoici.org
set mixer.alsa.channel=
set mixer.alsa.device=
set mixer.oss.channel=PCM
set mixer.oss.device=
set mixer.pulse.restore_volume=1
set output_plugin=pulse
set softvol=false
Sorry, I just noticed mocp doesn't have PulseAudio support at all. If
you want to exactly emulate mocp's behaviour (since you are fine with
it), set:

set dsp.alsa.device=default
set mixer.alsa.channel=PCM
set mixer.alsa.device=default