displaying file type and bitrate
Jose Quesada
2011-01-21 18:17:38 UTC

Is there a way of displaying file type and bitrate? if not, is this planned?
Thanks!
--
Best,
-Jose

Jose Quesada, PhD.
Research scientist,
Max Planck Institute,
Center for Adaptive Behavior and Cognition,
Berlin
http://www.josequesada.name/
http://twitter.com/Quesada
gt
2011-01-22 08:50:25 UTC
Post by Jose Quesada
Hi,
Is there a way of displaying file type and bitrate? if not, is this planned?
Thanks!
There is no direct way to tell the filetype, but you can tell it through
the filename. There is a string %F which can be used to display the
filename. Or You can use shift-i to display the filename in the command
line.

Another option is to use filters (which make use of the filename
itself). You can take a look at the filters in view 6 of cmus.

As for bitrate, i don't think there is any option to display that
(though i would love it too).

Maybe the devs can elaborate on any future plans for implementing them.
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-01-22 15:27:51 UTC
Post by gt
Post by Jose Quesada
Hi,
Is there a way of displaying file type and bitrate? if not, is this planned?
Thanks!
As for bitrate, i don't think there is any option to display that
(though i would love it too).
Maybe the devs can elaborate on any future plans for implementing them.
Well, I doubt anyone is working on this right now (or planning to do
this in the near future), but if someone feels like implmenting this —
you are welcome!

                Gregory
Johannes Weißl
2011-01-23 01:59:26 UTC
Hello!
Post by Jose Quesada
Is there a way of displaying file type and bitrate? if not, is this planned?
Thanks!
Displaying the file type is difficult, because (I think) it is not
always known to cmus (files are handed over to a library without
knowing the exact codec, e.g. to ffmpeg). I know that the filename is
not always enough to guess the type, but for most types it is sufficient
(cmus is not even supporting problematic formats like mka or flac in
ogg).

How would you like to display the bitrate? Via format_* options and/or
lib_sort?

Johannes
gt
2011-01-23 12:08:01 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
How would you like to display the bitrate? Via format_* options and/or
lib_sort?
I know that i didn't ask for this, but even i would love to see the
bitrate. It would be the best in the status line, in my opinion.
Johannes Weißl
2011-01-23 14:57:10 UTC
Post by gt
Post by Johannes Weißl
How would you like to display the bitrate? Via format_* options and/or
lib_sort?
I know that i didn't ask for this, but even i would love to see the
bitrate. It would be the best in the status line, in my opinion.
What exactly do you mean? I implemented a "%b" format option (e.g. for
format_current). Is there any way to configure the status line (where
the time is displayed) at all? Maybe it is also useful to filter the
bitrate (e.g. to find low quality songs?).

Johannes
gt
2011-01-24 09:04:47 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
What exactly do you mean? I implemented a "%b" format option (e.g. for
format_current). Is there any way to configure the status line (where
the time is displayed) at all? Maybe it is also useful to filter the
bitrate (e.g. to find low quality songs?).
I meant the format_current field instead of the field displaying time,
vol etc. Though the time field can also be good, but i think it's hard
coded.

I am using cmus v2.3.3 and i don't see any %b option for format* fields.
So this %b displays the bitrate? If it does, then that should suffice,
even in the format_current field, instead of the one below it.

Also, a bit rate filter can be good, but it will be useful only to figure out
poor quality songs, as you said. Other than that i don't see a purpose
for it.
Johannes Weißl
2011-01-24 09:20:42 UTC
Post by gt
Post by Johannes Weißl
What exactly do you mean? I implemented a "%b" format option (e.g. for
format_current). Is there any way to configure the status line (where
the time is displayed) at all? Maybe it is also useful to filter the
bitrate (e.g. to find low quality songs?).
I meant the format_current field instead of the field displaying time,
vol etc. Though the time field can also be good, but i think it's hard
coded.
Yes, the time field is hard coded, but it also uses %-options
internally.
Post by gt
I am using cmus v2.3.3 and i don't see any %b option for format* fields.
So this %b displays the bitrate? If it does, then that should suffice,
even in the format_current field, instead of the one below it.
No, it's just there in my local branch :-), sorry for the confusion. I
am not sure however if we should consume more letters (%b or %B) for
this option or introduce long tag names (see other post).

Johannes
a.l.e
2011-01-25 16:45:13 UTC
hi
Post by gt
Post by Johannes Weißl
What exactly do you mean? I implemented a "%b" format option (e.g. for
format_current). Is there any way to configure the status line (where
the time is displayed) at all? Maybe it is also useful to filter the
bitrate (e.g. to find low quality songs?).
I meant the format_current field instead of the field displaying time,
vol etc. Though the time field can also be good, but i think it's hard
coded.
I am using cmus v2.3.3 and i don't see any %b option for format* fields.
So this %b displays the bitrate? If it does, then that should suffice,
even in the format_current field, instead of the one below it.
Also, a bit rate filter can be good, but it will be useful only to figure out
poor quality songs, as you said. Other than that i don't see a purpose
for it.
i love seeing cmus being so actively developed!

but from time to time i shake my head and wonder, why so many new funky
features make it into the trunk.

this is one of those cases: can anybody explain me, why somebody would
want to see the bitrate of a song in the status bar?

i mean for each song and all the time! and in a console player!

to me cmus is a slim, simple and powerful tool... i'd prefer not to see
it becoming a 12-headed monster!

don't get me wrong: every -- or at least most -- programs need new
features to become a better app...

but not every new feature makes an app better...

just a rant from a cmus user who is (mostly) happy with the app as it
currently is...

ciao
a.l.e
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-01-25 17:30:57 UTC
Post by a.l.e
hi
Post by gt
Post by Johannes Weißl
[...]
Please do post to this mailing list in case you don't like something
being added!
Post by a.l.e
this is one of those cases: can anybody explain me, why somebody would
want to see the bitrate of a song in the status bar?
E.g. it is useful to know what is the "quality" of the current track.
Post by a.l.e
to me cmus is a slim, simple and powerful tool... i'd prefer not to see
it becoming a 12-headed monster!
Don't be afraid: every cmus user's worst dream is his favorite console
player becoming bloated and ugly! Everybody wants it small and clean,
myself included :-)

                Gregory