Play time off by 24s
Evan Niessen-Derry
2010-07-07 21:45:17 UTC
I'm currently having a bug on my desktop machine where the playing time
is off by 24s. I'm not sure what's causing it, the problem doesn't
occur on my laptop machine. This may also be related to a problem where
seeking doesn't work properly (trying to seek forward 5 seconds goes
ahead about 30s, trying to seek by a minute jumps even farther).
I should mention that it plays fine, but the represented time at the
bottom of the screen is off by 24s.

I'm looking for good places to start poking around for the problem, as I
can't really think of what might be causing this. I'm running Ubuntu
10.04 on the desktop. Thoughts?
Jason Woofenden
2010-07-09 19:07:40 UTC
Evan,

This may be a problem with alsa emulation in pulseaudio. (I think
you mentioned in a different e-mail that you're on ubuntu 10.4,
which I believe has pulseaudio.) Try:

1) make sure you're running a recent version of cmus (the latest
release is fine, no need for the git head)

2) Make sure cmus is compiled with pulseaudio support (by passing
CONFIG_PULSE=y to ./configure)

3) Make sure cmus is configured to use the pulseaudio output module
(not alsa) which I think you do by typing the following into cmus:
:set output_plugin=pulse

Please let us know if this solves your seeking issues.

Take care, - Jason
Evan Niessen-Derry
2010-07-10 22:01:53 UTC
That did it perfectly. I'm not a huge fan of Pulseaudio, so I tried
compiling with with CONFIG_PULSE=n, but that didn't seem to fix the
problem when "output_plugin=alsa", so I simply kept output_plugin=pulse,
and hopefully it won't turn into a secret hassle.

Thanks for the tip Jason, appreciated.
-Evan
Take care, - Jason
Jason Woofenden
2010-07-11 06:33:45 UTC
Post by Evan Niessen-Derry
That did it perfectly. I'm not a huge fan of Pulseaudio, so I tried
compiling with with CONFIG_PULSE=n, but that didn't seem to fix the
problem when "output_plugin=alsa", so I simply kept output_plugin=pulse,
and hopefully it won't turn into a secret hassle.
I'm glad to hear that worked for you.

You can't avoid pulseaudio by using alsa. The "alsa" sink you see
is actually pulseaudio emulating the alsa API. I think the problems
you were having were because pulseaudio emulates alsa badly.

("Emulate" might not be the right word, but you get the idea.)

So since you're running pulseaudio, it's best to cut out the middle
man (alsa protocol) and just connect directly to pulseaudio.

Take care, - Jason