Mixer
h***@gmail.com
2013-11-15 15:46:52 UTC
I have just installed cmus on my cygwin based machine.

I can not figure out how to "open the mixture".

Sound is coming out fine, but I'd like to contol the volume with cmus.

I have the libao library, so I doubt it's that.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to get be able to manipulate the mixer.
Jason Woofenden
2013-11-15 19:30:29 UTC
I don't know anything about mixers on windows. As I understand it,
"mixer" in the linux world means: an individual slider on the audio
volumes control panel for the system (not something inside cmus).

You want to change the Windows system volume _using_ cmus?

Or you want to change the volume _of_ cmus? (relative to other
programs.)

If the latter, try typing this into cmus:

:set softvol=true
Jason
h***@gmail.com
2013-11-16 02:06:23 UTC
Post by Jason Woofenden
I don't know anything about mixers on windows. As I understand it,
"mixer" in the linux world means: an individual slider on the audio
volumes control panel for the system (not something inside cmus).
You want to change the Windows system volume _using_ cmus?
Or you want to change the volume _of_ cmus? (relative to other
programs.)
:set softvol=true
--
Jason
I tried ' :set softvol=true ' but this had the effect of turning off sound.

I don't need a graphical mixer, just I would like the + and - kyes to increase and decrease volume, respectively.

Autio as built is working find so the audio stream is being output to the correct /driver or device, but I want to be able to control the volume.

Regards
Jason Woofenden
2013-11-16 02:32:00 UTC
You didn't answer my question.

Do you want to control the system volume, or the volume of cmus
relative to other programs?
Post by h***@gmail.com
I tried ' :set softvol=true ' but this had the effect of turning off sound.
Perhaps you had the volume set to 0 in cmus?

Try softvol again, and press + a few times.

Note that with softvol you'll be only changing the volume of cmus,
not the system.
Jason
h***@gmail.com
2013-11-16 05:11:22 UTC
Post by Jason Woofenden
Do you want to control the system volume, or the volume of cmus
relative to other programs?
It didn't matter on this one user system.
Post by Jason Woofenden
Post by h***@gmail.com
I tried ' :set softvol=true ' but this had the effect of turning off sound.
I restarted cmus today and didn't do anything remarkable, but the volume function works now with softvol to true.

Either setting the value didn't take effect immediately or I was too exhausted to notice the difference, but I did issue the increase volume key + many times.

Repear it is working now. Thank you.
gt
2013-11-16 05:40:21 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Jason Woofenden
Do you want to control the system volume, or the volume of cmus
relative to other programs?
It didn't matter on this one user system.
It does matter, as maybe cmus isn't capable of changing system volume of
windows.
Jason Woofenden
2013-11-16 05:40:16 UTC
I'm glad to hear you got it working.

Odd that you had to restart cmus. This might be a symptom of a bug
in cmus.
--
Jason