Keeping some metadata about tracks
Georgi Tsankov
2015-01-09 22:18:23 UTC
I am using cmus to play podcasts and I have many episodes (and there's a
new one each week).
I want to keep track of what I've heard and what I haven't, and of course,
I don't listen in order.

Some obvious options (independent of cmus) are to rename the file, move it
to another directory, edit the ID3 tag, but these are a little intrusive.
I want something that doesn't touch the data, like a text file somewhere on
disk that contains a list of file names.

I want to:
- add the currently selected track to that file from cmus (after pressing
some keyboard shortcut),
- display a track differently (let's say in different color) if it
appears in that file.
The specifics will be easy to implement, the question is how to integrate
it with cmus.

I know nothing about cmus development, so any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks!

(In the subject I say 'metadata' because eventually I want to be able to
edit, store and display a one-line note about each track, but again this
should be easy to implement once I have the basic functionality.)

Georgi
Gregory Petrosyan
Georgi Tsankov
2015-01-22 20:57:04 UTC
(sorry for not replying earlier, I somehow missed this reply)

Thanks for the pointer, Gregory.
However I'm really interested in the 2nd version of my question (adding
some short notes linked to each episode).
Since I'm completely new to this, probably best to look at the samples at
https://github.com/cmus/cmus/wiki first.
Then I'll ask more.

Thanks again!