Audio output device on mac
Emrah
2011-04-22 18:07:39 UTC
Hi all,

I use CMUS on my Mac and am trying to understand how I could direct the audio output to my external soundcard.
For now, it is set to CoreAudio. I know where to set it, but don't know what to indicate there.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Emrah
<***@ekanet.net>
Gregory Petrosyan
2011-04-23 19:28:39 UTC
Post by Emrah
I use CMUS on my Mac and am trying to understand how I could direct the
audio output to my external soundcard. For now, it is set to CoreAudio. I
know where to set it, but don't know what to indicate there.
I have no external soundcard, so can't really help you with this one.

However, as far as I know, libao, which cmus does use, uses whatever output
device is specified in the "System Preferences"' "Sound" panel. Can you try
opening that panel (it's "Output" tab, to be precise), and selecting another
output device in the devices list?

P.S. AFAIK there is no way to make cmus use non-default system sound output
device (this is a libao limitation); so the only way to go is to change the
default one.

Gregory
Emrah
2011-04-24 17:30:21 UTC
Hey Gregory,

Thanks for you reply.
The point was that I wanted to separate System Default Output from CMUS Output because I use a screenreader. The screenreader goes through System Output and I wanted to be
able to listen to my music through my external sound card and keep the screenreader in my ears with headphones.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Best,
Emrah