obsd crash report
2016-08-13 17:38:41 UTC
hi

first, thank you. i don't know how much of an audience there is for
curses music players, but cmus is #1 in my book, hands down.

so, again, let me acknowledge that i benefit from your efforts with
gratitude.

second, unfortunately, i can make it crash in a repeatable fashion. i
have a large collection of music and when i try to 'add' it to cmus
[using browser '5', highlighting dir, and pressing 'a'] it rolls along
until at some point it blows up.

there has been no core file that i have found.

i am happy to supply more information or run commands or do what i can
to help the developers figure out what's up.

the following information may be helpful.

~ cmus --version
cmus v2.7.1
Copyright 2004-2006 Timo Hirvonen
Copyright 2008-2013 Various Authors

the running environment is more or less as follows:

~ uname -a
OpenBSD hostname.lan 5.9 GENERIC.MP#3 i386

~ urxvt --version
rxvt-unicode (urxvt) v9.22 - released: 2016-01-23

~ zsh --version
zsh 5.2 (i386-unknown-openbsd5.9)
/js [http://or8.net/~johns] "this space for sale"
b***@shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk
2016-08-14 17:20:12 UTC
Hello all - I agree, cmus is a refreshing joy to use.

I am not a 'dev', but out of interest the comment "large collection of
music" - what does that mean; how many files for instance ?

I have a large collection stored on a NFS mount and when I added it, all
went fine.
Slackware 14.2 64bit. And it never failed on previous versions.

Best regards
Post by s
[...]
------------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
are
Jason Woofenden
2016-08-15 13:29:31 UTC
Hi Js,

Thanks for writing in about this!

I believe there are no known crashing bugs in cmus, so we will
probably need you to help gather more details before we can figure
out what's going on.

I believe some folks on this list have very large music
collections, so that shouldn't be a problem. I only have a couple
thousand tracks.

I just found this in the CMUS readme:

After a crash send bug report with last lines of ~/cmus-debug.txt to
cmus-***@lists.sourceforge.net. The file exists only if you
configured cmus with maximum debug level (./configure DEBUG=2).

If that doesn't help, then we'll probably need you to rebuild cmus
with debugger info built in and get us a backtrace. I'll let
someone else chime in with instructions on that when/if the time
comes.
--
Jason
2016-08-27 17:46:28 UTC
Post by b***@shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk
I am not a 'dev', but out of interest the comment "large collection of
music" - what does that mean; how many files for instance ?
find . -type f | wc -l
39448

but i really think there is a charset issue of some type here.

i have a script to check disk usage of subdirs which runs this command:
du -kx | sort -rn

and when run on this filesystem i get:
sort: Illegal byte sequence

so maybe this illegal byte sequence is also messing up cmus ...
--
/js [http://or8.net/~johns] "this space for sale"