CMUS at start up
Mário Dias
2013-07-19 02:17:13 UTC

I am trying to implement a cmus as a music player in a raspberry pi. It
will not have a monitor neither a mouse or keyboard and i will comunicate
with it through cmus remote. i manage to do the comunication by cmus-remote
but to work i have to launch the cmus in another terminal window and then
run my application on another terminal window.

Can you guys help me how to lunch the cmus on background on OS startup?

Thank you for the support

Best Regards
Mário
Jason Woofenden
2013-07-19 03:02:56 UTC
Post by Mário Dias
Can you guys help me how to lunch the cmus on background on OS
startup?
You'd launch cmus the same way you'd launch any other text-based
program on startup.

You want to learn about how to get your script to run at boot time,
set up the correct environment, an su to the correct user account.

This is not the mailing list for learning how to do such things.

Once you've got that working, just run:

screen cmus
Jason
Mário Dias
2013-07-20 00:41:49 UTC
hi,

yes you are right. but i am unable to run the cmus in backgound, even with
the screen command. Can you help me in this step(how to run it in
backgound)?

Thank you

Best Regards
Mario
Jason
Mário Dias
2013-07-20 00:54:17 UTC
hi,

i manage how to put it.

screen -S cmus

Thanks for the tips

BR
Mario
Jason
Mário Dias
2013-07-20 01:14:08 UTC

the cmus stays in bacground but unfortenely i cant connect to it with
cmus-remote. it says that is not running.

Any sugestion?

Best Regards
Mario
Post by Mário Dias
hi,
i manage how to put it.
screen -S cmus
Thanks for the tips
BR
Mario
Jason
Jason Woofenden
2013-07-20 03:41:13 UTC
Post by Mário Dias
Hi,
the cmus stays in bacground but unfortenely i cant connect to it with
cmus-remote. it says that is not running.
You're probably running them (cmus and cmus-remote) as different
users, or with a different environment*. You really need to read up
on these things to fiddle with startup scripts.
--
Jason

* variables like HOME tend to matter.
Paul van der Walt
2013-07-20 09:34:31 UTC
Post by Mário Dias
i manage how to put it.
screen -S cmus
Yeah you didn't really. The -S option just specifies the screen session
name, so you can later reconnect it using `screen -r cmus` in this case.

On my machine running a simple `screen cmus` just works, but it's not
backgrounded then. Perhaps you can read the screen manual (`man
Post by Mário Dias
-d -m Start screen in "detached" mode. This creates a new
session but doesn't attach to it. This is useful for system
startup scripts.
Bye,
p.