daemon mode - do we want it?
Johannes Weißl
2011-12-12 13:41:41 UTC
Hi!

recently many items have been added to the wish list, some of them are
pretty good ideas and doable, I will write another mail for them.

However one point is "daemon mode". I have a pretty ambivalent feeling
towards this. In my opinion, cmus doesn't need to be rewritten as
daemon. I've seen it happen too many times with other audio players,
with bad results. There is already a pretty good OSS audio daemon, and
it is called mpd. If anything, someone should fork cmus and rewrite it
as frontend for mpd.

What do you think about it?

I can only guess that the feature that is behind this request is making
cmus "detachable" (like MOC - music on console). This is why I've
written a small wiki page that explains how to add a little sugar to
cmus to have almost perfect detach/reattach. I'm sure many of you
figured this out on your own, I haven't until now, and I think I will
use this from now on, it is perfect (if I had figured this out sooner,
maybe I would have never written the "resume" mode :-)):

http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=detachable_cmus

If the proposer of the TODO item is among the list subscribers, I would
love to hear if this a good enough replacement for a daemon mode :-)!

Johannes
gt
2011-12-12 14:37:16 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
[...]
Hi Johannes,

I feel a daemon mode isn't really needed, as you already mentioned,
there is mpd for that. We don't want another mpd lookalike, cmus is
quite different and excellent in its own ways.

As for detach feature, i use cmus inside gnu screen, and screen/tmux is
a much more flexible option to implement detach features for our loved
applications, than implementing it individually in each of them.

But if there are any other pros of having a server/client model, i am
all ears.
Nikita Melnikov
2011-12-12 15:05:48 UTC
daemon mode is completely unneeded, imo. i perfectly run cmus inside
screen on my headless server via ssh.
Johannes
Learn Windows Azure Live! Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011
Nikita Melnikov
Philipp Schafft
2011-12-12 18:29:33 UTC
reflum,
Post by Johannes Weißl
Hi!
recently many items have been added to the wish list, some of them are
pretty good ideas and doable, I will write another mail for them.
However one point is "daemon mode". I have a pretty ambivalent feeling
towards this. In my opinion, cmus doesn't need to be rewritten as
daemon. I've seen it happen too many times with other audio players,
with bad results. There is already a pretty good OSS audio daemon, and
it is called mpd. If anything, someone should fork cmus and rewrite it
as frontend for mpd.
What do you think about it?
The RoarAudio project has a similar project, it's called RoarAudio
PlayList Daemon (rpld). It is not a daemon mode player like mpd but can
work in a similar way. If somebody is interested in this kind of stuff I
would looking forward to get a mail :)

But I perfectly agree that cmus isn't a good candiate to do something
like this. It would need a big rewrite and screen will do fine without
all those problems.

The only pro I see that rpld (and maybe mpd) has is the
'shareability' (multi user, multi network nodes).
--
Philipp.
(Rah of PH2)
Justin Richard
2011-12-12 20:10:59 UTC
Post by Johannes Weißl
http://cmus.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=detachable_cmus
If the proposer of the TODO item is among the list subscribers, I would
love to hear if this a good enough replacement for a daemon mode :-)!
Using a screen/tmux session is perfectly acceptable for 'hiding' cmus.
Furthermore, cmus-remote provides all the controls necessary for
alternative interfaces once it is hidden.

- Justin